Heart Warming and Healthy Soups on CTV Kitchener
Last summer I worked on recipes for Health Canada and The Heart & Stroke Foundation for the Healthy Canadians website. There are 48 wonderful healthy family friendly recipes, 12 for each season so you can enjoy great taste and flavour using in season ingredients with simple cooking techniques that will get you in the kitchen cooking.
Check out the website for the final look of the recipes and all the additional tips and information along with nutritional information. Here are the shots I took in the kitchen. I hope you enjoy some hot soup on these cold evenings ahead!
This creamy soup is delicious to start off a meal or enjoy at lunch with a soup or salad. The mushrooms add a hearty texture to this east coast favourite.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1.25 L (5 cups)
10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
1 pkg (227 g/8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
15 mL (1 tbsp) chopped fresh tarragon or 5 mL/1 tsp dried tarragon
45 mL (3 tbsp) all purpose flour
500 mL (2 cups) skim milk
250 mL (1 cup) sodium reduced fish or vegetable broth
1 can (142 g) baby clams, drained and rinsed
250 mL (1 cup) corn kernels
Fresh ground pepper or hot pepper sauce (optional)
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook mushrooms, onion, garlic, celery, parsley and tarragon for about 8 minutes or until liquid starts to evaporate. Stir in flour until well coated.
2. Pour in milk and broth; bring to a gentle boil. Stir in clams and corn and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbling slightly.
Makes 4 servings.
Red Lentil and Mushroom Soup
With a little kick of heat from the hot pepper flakes, this soup is great to pack in a thermos and enjoy for lunch. An extra sprinkle of parsley is always nice for a hit of colour before serving.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1.5 L (6 cups)
10 mL (2 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
1 pkg (227 g/8 oz) button mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped fresh parsley
15 mL (1 tbsp) dried oregano leaves
10 mL (2 tsp) dried thyme leaves
1 mL (1/4 tsp) hot pepper flakes
250 mL (1 cup) red lentils, rinsed
750 mL (3 cups) sodium reduced vegetable broth
500 mL (2 cups) water
2 mL (1/2 tsp) grated lemon rind
30 mL (2 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
75 mL (1/3 cup) crumbled light feta cheese (optional)
1. In a soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms, onion and carrot for about 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates from the mushrooms. Stir in parsley, oregano, thyme and hot pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add lentils and stir to combine. Add stock and water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and cook stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft and falling apart.
3. Stir in lemon rind and juice. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with feta cheese, if using.
Makes 6 servings.
Lentil Soup Variation: Omit mushrooms and use 2 onions and 2 carrots in the recipe.